For close to 5000 years, ancient texts have proclaimed the benefits of consuming holy basil or tulsi. Holy basil is currently used in over 300 medical treatments and numerous benefits have been published. Here are some of the holy basil benefits:
- Overall Health – Because the herb has a high anti-oxidant content, is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral, it is widely used to treat a variety of conditions and is promoted for every day use to promote a long life and wellness. It also boosts immunity and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent producing overall wellness. Every day use is encouraged to prevent infections and other illness. This translates into reduced arthritis pain and headaches. It also creates less inflammation in the lungs and respiratory tract. Combined with its expectorant qualities, tulsi becomes as highly effective treatment for asthma, allergies, respiratory infections, croup and cough.
- Supports the Cardiovascular system – Tulsi has several qualities that help the cardiovascular system. First it is a blood thinner, which is effective in reducing the risk of stroke. In addition, it effectively lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which lowers the risk of heart attack. It also lowers the heart rate and helps purify the blood. It cleanses the liver, which further cleanses the blood to remove impurities, and supports the proper cardiovascular support. The combination of these qualities reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Balances the amount of insulin in the body – One of the largest impacts that tulsi has had is in the realm of blood sugar and diabetes. It nourishes the pancreas, which in turn generates healthy beta cells that produce the body’s insulin. Since insulin lowers blood sugar, it has provided an effective treatment for type 2 diabetes.
- Provides Anti-aging abilities - It hydrates the skin and is able to treat skin conditions and chronic dry skin. It reduces the physiological effects of aging and works as an anti-aging treatment.
- Neutralizes the effects of bio-chemicals – Holy basil works in conjunction with extreme medical treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation. It is effective in treating radiation and other types of poisoning. It is also effective in reducing free radical damage, such as sun damage, and from pollution and pesticides. Laboratory tests have also shown its potential to treat cancerous cells.
- Stress Reducer – One of the most publicized effects of the holy basil plant is its effects on stress. It acts as an adaptogen, increasing the body’s ability to adapt to difficult circumstances. It reduces cortisol in the body and helps in the absorption of neurotransmitters in the brain to reduce the effects of stress, as well as improve stamina and memory. Tulsi also promotes emotional balance. As such, it has been effectively used to treat depression, ADHD, ADD, bi-polar disorder, chronic fatigue syndrome and other stress induced illnesses.